We’re delighted to say that we’re taking part in this year’s Big Give Christmas Challenge – which means that any donations we receive for seven days from 12pm on Tuesday 3rd December (#GivingTuesday) will be doubled!
What is the Big Give Christmas Challenge?
It’s a campaign that allows participating charities to double all the online donations they receive between midday on Tuesday 3 Dec (which is #GivingTuesday) and midday on Tuesday 10 Dec. This is made possible thanks to a match fund from some of our extremely kind supporters and our ‘charity champion’, The Waterloo Foundation.
Last year, thanks to all the people who donated so generously, we exceeded our target and raised over £48,000 to build a dormitory for 100 girls from the Rhino Camp Settlement in Uganda, saving them from walking tens of kilometres every day just to attend school, increasing the likelihood that they remain in education, and providing a safe and secure learning environment for them. We were also able to install solar lights and build latrines for Rhino Camp High School and Ofua Secondary School.
What are we fundraising for this year?
We currently support over 2,000 refugees and people affected by conflict to study at post-secondary level in East Africa and the UK, but sadly this only provides opportunities to a small fraction of those desperate to access higher education and training.
This year we’re hoping you can help us to provide more opportunities through our current programmes, with a particular focus on:
- Vocational and professional training in Uganda and Kenya in vital skills such as teaching, water engineering, nursing, and technology; and
- Scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students to study at universities in South Sudan and the UK, with a particular focus on supporting more women to enrol..
By taking advantage of the opportunity to double your donation, your generous support will have double the impact and help more people affected by conflict in East Africa to transform their lives, helping them to create lasting change for themselves, their families, and their wider communities.
What you need to do next
To take part in our Christmas Challenge, it’s important that you:
- Sign up here to receive a reminder when the Big Give Christmas Challenge opens
- Note that only donations made via our official Big Give platform page during the Christmas Challenge week will be doubled
- The link to donate on our page will only be visible once the campaign starts at midday on 3rd December #GivingTuesday
- You’ll need to have your card details handy to donate