Windle works throughout extreme and insecure environments to ensure educational provision continues for conflict-affected people in East Africa and Windle is one of the few international NGOs that has retained a continuous presence in South Sudan since its inception as the world’s newest country.
Windle International is comprised of Windle Trusts in Kenya, Uganda and the UK – there are also Windle offices in South Sudan and Sudan, which have not yet become independent legal Windle Trusts in their own right and remain currently under the auspices of Windle Trust Int, UK. Windle is exploring options within Somalia and Ethiopia.
To contact a Windle office use the details below:
- Kenya: the head office of Windle Intl Kenya is in Nairobi, with programme offices in Kakuma Refugee Camp in North-Eastern Kenya and Dadaab Refugee Camp in Northern Kenya. Dadaab has a refugee population of almost 350,000 and Kakuma close to 200,000. The Windle programmes provide access to education for both refugees and the Kenyan communities living around the refugee camps.
- Uganda: the head office of Windle Intl Uganda is in Kampala, with support offices in the refugee settlements across Uganda. As with Kenya, much of Windle’s work is done in partnership with UNHCR and includes skilled support and input from the refugee communities themselves. Uganda now has a growing refugee population of over half a million, making it the third largest refugee population in Africa after Kenya and Ethiopia.
- Sudan: Windle Sudan manages the DAFI (Albert Einstein) University scholarships for refugees and works together with UNHCR providing education in Greater Khartoum State. Windle provides hostel accommodation for a number of females who are internally displaced or refugees, who attend Ahfad University.
- South Sudan: Windle supports schools and the training of teachers across South Sudan. The head offices are in Juba – with bases in Bentiu, Wau, Torit and Yei amongst others. Windle South Sudan primarily serves the South Sudanese who are affected by the civil conflict. Windle works in partnership with other INGOs and the Government of South Sudan to strengthen and contribute to the national educational infrastructures.
- United Kingdom: Windle Trust Intl UK is based in Oxford and oversees the programmes in South Sudan and Sudan. Windle Trust also runs the Masters scholarships that provide a high level postgraduate education to outstanding refugees, who are committed to rebuilding their country and giving back to East Africa.
- North America: Windle USA promotes Windle’s work in North America and Windle has strong links with universities in Canada.
- The Windle International office is based in the UK just outside Oxford. The International Council represents all the member organisations, sets the core strategy and promotes effective cooperation across the Windle network.